In the farrowing stage, optimal lighting can stimulate the biological clock and biorhythm to make the pigs feel and perform better. Besides that, good lighting improves fertility for the next gestation.
A good light climate in the farrowing stage:
- Stimulates the biological clock and biorhythm
- Makes the pigs feel and perform better
- Improves fertility for the next gestation
In the service area, correct lighting plays a major role in stimulating sow fertility. Light stimulation of the sows can also help to reduce the wean-to-serve interval. When the sows are optimally stimulated, their production results will increase, enabling optimised performances during farrowing.
Correct lighting in the service area:
- Plays a major role in stimulating sow fertility
- Can help to reduce the wean-to-serve interval
- Increases production results
- Optimises performances during farrowing
Environmental adaption is of key importance in the gestation stage. Good sight is needed to realise this. A good light climate enables sows to see better so they can recognise their environment. This makes it easier for them to find feed and water and to recognise other sows. As a result, the sows are calmer, which is crucial during this production phase.
Correct lighting in the gestation stage:
- Improves sow sight
- Enables environmental adaption and recognition
- Makes it easier for sows to find feed and water & recognise other sows
- Leads to calmer sows
Early feed intake is of vital importance to reduce or even prevent weaning dips in the nursery stage. An optimal light climate enables the piglets to explore their environment better, so they can find their feed and water more easily. In this way, a faster feed intake post-weaning can be realised, resulting in an increased feed intake. This will contribute to healthy growers and an optimal feed conversion rate.
An optimal light climate in the nursery stage:
- Is able to reduce weaning dips.
- Enables easy environmental exploration
- Stimulates a faster feed intake post-weaning
- Contributes to healthy growers and an optimal feed conversion rate
Since correct lighting improves the finishers’ sight, it can stimulate feed intake but also prevent undesirable behaviour. Better sight also makes the finishers feel more comfortable in their pens and with their pen-mates.
Correct lighting during the finishing stage:
- Improves sight
- Stimulates feed intake
- Prevents undesirable behaviour
- Makes the finishers feel more comfortable
The rearing phase is one of the most important stages in a sow’s life. All environmental factors have to be just right. Light is a very important stimulator of the young gilts. Stimulating gilts through light is important for proper and uniform sexual maturation and correct socialisation. In addition, good lighting improves the gilts’ vision which prevents them from being startled. This is beneficial during gestation and farrowing in particular.
An optimal light climate in the rearing phase:
- Is a very important stimulator of the young gilts
- Is important for proper and uniform sexual maturation and correct socialisation.
- Improves gilt vision
- Prevents the gilts from being startled